CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Jon's biggest surprise








Jon, Tanner and I all went for the 18 week ultrasound. There had been many jokes around the house of what they would do if we were having a little girl. Both boys like to tease me that if it was a girl they would send her back. I was perfectly fine with whatever we got. I really enjoy all the baseball and football games and Saturdays that are filled with whatever sport Tanner is currently playing. I have gotten used to the several nights a week practices and the snack and drink schedules. I know how to do boys but somehow we all knew it was going to be a baby sister that was coming to us.
When they ultrasound tech asked if we had any guesses we said a girl and she said "yes, you guessed right". Jon's first question to her was, " how many people are surprised in the delivery room". The technician thought he meant how many people wait to find out and are surprised in the delivery room, but I knew that was not what he was asking. I told her no - he is asking how often you are wrong. She said quite convincingly, never. She said the sex is not one of the harder things to decipher on the ultrasound.

As we drove home and let the rest of the family know there were many squeals of delight from my mom and sisters. I also let it sink in and was overjoyed she was healthy and finally seemed like a reality. I know the boys were happy she was healthy and growing fine but I am sure they would have been planning in much greater detail had it been a boy. I do think Tanner mentioned that she was still going to have to play football.
As the months dragged on Jon refused to paint any room in his house pink and Tanner said the only dolls she will have are GI Joes.





As you can see Jon was surprised in the delivery room and everyday after that. He has said since we have had Ashleigh that he is SO happy he had a daughter. He says it is even better than a son. Not that he doesn't love them both the same and unconditionally. It must be some sort of evolution thing passed on all the way from the days of cavemen that men need to raise their boys to be able to go out and kill the animals and bring them back for dinner.

With a baby girl there is none of that. She is perfect in his eyes. (well she is very close to perfect, ask anyone but especially to her dad). Nothing is too good for his baby girl and she can have all the dolls she wants and then some. I am sure he would now paint the room any color and he has since put up shelves that now hold the first of what I am sure will be many dolls.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm so glad you decided to blog - it's fun to see pics of your kids.

Jesika said...

Baby girls are somethin' special!!